The link between oral health and overall general health has become well-known and has found acceptance among many people in the last few years. For instance, gum disease has been found to be connected to several health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and dementia, etc. The bacteria in the mouth can grow and spread through the system and could be a reason for infection in other parts of the body. With the mouth and body connective health attracting so much attention, dentists worldwide are beginning to realize the importance of wellness dentistry and what it can offer for their patients and their practice.
Wellness Dentistry is a new approach that propagates the fact that the benefits of dentistry should extend to the whole body. It accepts that oral health and general health are interwoven and suggests the incorporation of wellness protocols and approaches into dental practices.
As wellness practitioners have the knowledge and tools necessary for the early identification of diseases, they are better positioned to help their patients achieve wellness and better health and educate and provide guidance for their patients. The outcome of incorporating wellness dentistry for patients in their lifestyle is an increased vigor, a better quality of life, and greater longevity.
Wellness Dentistry will become an essential aspect in the future of dentistry, dentists are able to deliver comprehensive care through early diagnosis of broader health conditions. The wellness dentists can create an increased awareness of other health conditions that could substantially impact the general health of a patient. To achieve this, they have to look beyond the welfare of the teeth.
What are the benefits of Wellness Dentistry?
- Regular Check-ups: During a routine dental check-up, your dentist will examine for cavities, and for this purpose, X-rays might be taken to determine if any cavities are present. The exam also includes inspecting for any signs of plaque and tartar build-up. Plaque is a sticky layer of bacteria that hardens and later becomes tartar. There will also be an examination of the gums' soft tissue to look for swelling, redness, and any signs of cancer. Together with brushing and flossing regularly, routinely seeing a dentist is the only way to diagnose and treat problems in the initial stages.
- Prevent Serious Health Complications: The difficulties from a lack of proper dental care can go beyond gingivitis. A connection between gum disease and heart disease is already proven. Pregnant women can also be at risk of giving birth to a premature child due to gum disease. Additionally, almost all universal diseases have an oral constituent. This includes oral cancer, diabetes, and kidney disease.
- Preserving Your Pearly White Teeth: Preventative dental care involves only simple steps to avoid serious issues with your teeth and gums.
- Increased Confidence: Tooth decay and gum disease can lead to the yellowing of the teeth, loss of teeth, bad breath, and tooth damage. These kinds of cosmetic problems can seriously dent your confidence and make you anxious about your appearance. By following a regular dental routine, you can prevent much of this damage, and any present damage can be addressed.
- Avoid Costly Procedures: Making sure of regular check-ups and cleanings is a relatively inexpensive and straightforward way of avoiding costly dental procedures such as root canal and other serious conditions.
- Decrease Pain: A toothache usually indicates a problem or infection. Intense oral pain can make you incapable of functioning normally. If the pain source is an infection, it could only worsen and lead to serious complications.
Call us at Wayne H Mori Dental or schedule an online appointment to know more about Wellness Dentistry