Dental Implant is a type of oral appliance that serves as a replacement for tooth roots. An implant is usually made of titanium due to the metal’s impressive biocompatibility rate. Titanium has a high specific strength apart from its excellent resistance to corrosion. The implants are placed directly into the jawbone as they have to serve as the tooth’s root. In some instances, the implant is placed just above the bone. The type of implant used depends on the type of implant you will receive. Once the bone and gums have sufficiently healed over the implant, the dentist can place the abutment. The artificial tooth is fixed over the metal post. This whole procedure involves one surgery for the placement of the titanium post.
Why is it essential to replace a loss of the tooth?
A missing tooth not only takes away from the beauty of your smile but have many adverse effects on your oral health, including the following:
- Other teeth can shift and drift from their positions.
- There could be changes in the bite.
- Eating and chewing can become difficult.
- There could be bone loss from the jaw.
- The remaining teeth will wear out soon.
- A tooth loss can cause changes in the jaw joint.
What are the advantages of a Dental Implant?
- Imitating natural teeth: The implants will feel, act and look similar to the natural teeth, and as a result, you do not have to worry about your self-image concerns. You don’t have to think about flashing that wonderful smile of yours without thinking for a second.
- Long-Lasting: The dental implants are long-lasting and can last for an entire lifetime if maintained properly. The only part which would need replacement is the crown.
- Preserve surrounding teeth: The adjacent healthy teeth are not damaged when an implant is inserted in the missing tooth.
- Comfort: Patients who have got their teeth replaced with dental implants will feel more comfortable while talking, smiling, and eating. As dental Implants are a fixed replacement, a person will not face problems that usually are associated with removable dentures or other substitutes.
What is the process for a Dental implant?
After the initial consultation with the dentist to determine if you are suitable for undergoing a dental implant, a customized plan is created to meet your requirements. A titanium metal post is placed within your jawbone using surgical-guided technology. This post serves as the root for the tooth to be replaced. The whole procedure is performed under local anesthesia so that you are comfortable throughout the entire process. Typically a healing period of 3-4 months is allowed for the metal post to fuse with the bone.
Once the fusion has taken place, and the bones have healed, a new custom-made crown is attached over the post with an abutment. The new tooth will resemble and feel just like the surrounding teeth. A dental implant actually helps replace an entire missing tooth from the root to the crown.
Call us at Wayne H Mori Dental or schedule an online appointment to know more about Dental Implants